The Student Support Unit, or SSU, caters for a wide variety of students.
- students who have a disability, (including Intellectual, Physical, Visual, Speech Impairments, Autism, Asperger Syndrome)
- D/deaf and hard of hearing students
- learning support students
- students who simply require catch-up work, or just need some extra support
Some of our students with a disability are in all mainstream classes. Other students have the core classes of English, Maths, Humanities and Science within the Unit, but participate alongside their peers in all elective subjects eg; Drama, Art, Music, Computers, Manual Arts, HPE, and Languages.
The SSU team consists of:
· Head of Special Education Services
· Learning Support Teachers
· Special Education Teachers
· Teachers of the Deaf
· Administration Officer
· Specialist Teacher Aides
· Educational Interpreters (EIs)
· Auslan Language Model (ALMs)
In addition, support from external organisations/professionals visit the school, such as Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Speech and Language Therapists, Psychologists, etc.
We provide support with guiding Learning Support students into suitable vocational pathways and traineeships offered in the senior school. We also have an affiliation with an external employment agency.
SSU students actively participate in the Kedron SHS community in the following:
• School Leadership Roles
• Student Council
• Interact Committee
• Swimming Carnival
• Athletics Carnival
• Tuckshop Assistants
• Kedron Week
• Senior Formal
• Work Experience